- Twigs can be re-used to hang Easter bunnies & eggs.…they look great if you use budding twigs too
- In the spirit of Marie Kondo: “Anything that doesn’t make you happy or isn’t absolutely necessary should be touched, thanked and sent on its way”, the bestselling Japanese author says, so I’m having a clear out of my labels/designer/now vintage clothes to sell on my stall with Heather ‘Love Your Labels’ at a Brocante in Westerham on Friday 3rd May 10am-2pm. Come see us. Plus we’ll have smaller & shorter sizes too & accessories….
- I’m awaiting the start of the Asparagus season which is due to start at our local Groombridge Farm shop at the beginning of May, but I guess it will be in Waitrose before then….but probably not for Easter rolled in Serrano ham & then grilled with olive oil….
- Buy a new swimsuit….there are some fab ones in all different colours & shapes in Boden and Other Stories & even M & Co. Perhaps have a St Tropez tan before you venture into a fitting room. This applies to the boys as well….enough is enough….shorter legs now, not board shorts!
- Book your retreats.…whether just for a weekend in the UK or further afield….you can always pm me & I can let you know those that I can recommend as there are so many now to choose from. The website queenofretreats.com has them featured from around the world. I quite fancy the House of Voga one (yoga with rave dancing jolly leotards & high heels! ) being held in Deia, Majorca at the beginning of June.
- Cutting down on what to see as it can look like that’s all I do! We loved The White Crow about the life story & defection of Rudolf Nureyev….very poignant & atmospheric 60’s. On Netflix we have enjoyed After Life with Ricky Gervais, very dark with a great lifting at the end, on Sky Atlantic the last season of Game of Thrones plus next series of Big Little Lies – Meryl Streep is joining the star studded cast. Plus our long term favourite Billions & now with Damian Lewis’ wife Helen McCrory in Mother Father Son….both programmes are so well acted with great scripts & very good diction! Also on terrestrial the last series of the Durrells on Sunday ….so that’s a lovely mix of viewing to keep you going….
- For an Art Fix.…Charleston Festival in their new space plus Mary Quant @ V&A; still not seen the Bonnard exhibition yet or Christian Dior so we had better hurry up! I am rather nostalgic about the 60’s as you can see.
- New Kundalini yoga practice @ Yard Yoga in Forest Row….I love this practice with the rapid movement of the Kryias, chanting & breath work. You can learn some more by watching the beautiful Maya Fiennes teach on You Tube.
- Ginger Baker of the Cream @ The Brighton Dome on 12th April – a drumming event with 2 other renowned drummers. We saw an excellent retrospective at the Lewes Depot where he made an appearance too.…a bit crippled with arthritis but still able to drum! When I left Peter Jones I was given a signed copy of The Goodbye Cream album as I had seen them with my uncle & cousins at Wembley …those were the days!
- In that spirit of talent, we have lost yet another great musician & singer Scott Walker.…if you have never listened to his voice do it now….his first solo album is so beautiful & haunting…Montague Terrace in Blue is one of our favourites or Always Coming Back To You….
- With all the Brexit brouhaha I am thinking about joining the Liberal Democrat party, particularly after reading Nigel Clegg’s great autobiography ‘Politics’. Shame we have lost him to big corporate indulgence with Facebook but he seems to be making an impact on Mark Zuckerberg already. Plus, I love their new home in Silicon Valley.…good luck to him & his talented family! Unfortunate now that he is not leader as Vince Cable is stepping down….we need youth & energy & reasonableness & compromise in a coalition of shared interest! (enough politicking).
Mellow Yellow all the way for Spring…
This is a great sweater from M&Co with a lovely yellow stripe down the side which looks good with pale jeans & track suit bottoms before we go into white jeans. I’ve partnered it here with a yellow linen scarf by Claudia Strater that I bought one warm evening post rose & ice in Amsterdam (many moons ago!).
If you’re not a fan of yolk yellow with a winter pallor try shades of mustard, saffron & pale lemon….I even saw a saffron coloured bikini in & Other Stories ….very 50’s with high waist bottoms & halter neck top…get it now as black has sold out!
- Butter individual ramekin dishes.
- Slide 1 or 2 eggs (depending on size of dish) into each, being careful not to break the yolks. Sprinkle the top with pepper & salt to taste plus a knob of butter. Place baking dishes in a small roasting pan of hot water (bain marie!) in a preheated oven 325-350F or 165-177C for about 8 minutes or more if you like them firmer.
- Remove from oven before they are completely cooked as they will continue cooking from the heat in the baking dish.
- Mix together the cream, grated cheese, lemon juice & white wine
- Add mustard & salt & pepper
- Break 2 eggs into each buttered ramekin
- Cover the eggs with the sauce & sprinkle buttered breadcrumbs over the top
- Place in roasting pan of hot water & bake @ 375f or 190c (170 Fan) for about 15 mins. Serves 4 straight away!