- Hang on to the wonderful local Asparagus season for a little longer…the Groombridge Farm shop still has it on a front stall & will re-open in its extended space soon. I still love it wrapped in salty serrano ham & grilled with aioli…lovely as a tapas!
- I love cornflowers – their magic blue & this year I’ve got a tin of seeds that came from M&S as a present…..they are nearly in flower combined with yellow daisies too.
- In fact writing about flowers, a local Hartfield yoga friend Julie Bickerton is running a lovely 1 day workshop combined with a local cottage flower garden : Feel Good Friday events Yoga and Pick Your Own Flowers, Friday 12th July 10.30am-4.30pm. A chance to get out of town, meet up with friends, share some yoga, lunch and an afternoon picking cottage garden flowers @cherrygardensorganicfarm. www.livelife.org.uk to book.
- In the similar spirit I’m revisiting my soul place Charleston at Firle, nr Lewes where on 22 & 23 June they have a Designers & Makers Fair in their new space. £5 includes entry to the restored walled garden from Vanessa Bell & Duncan Grant’s original planting plan. If you want a day out you can include a lovely walk on the Sussex Downs, visit the Ram in Firle for a delicious lunch outside or in the Farrow & Ball coloured dark dining room. They have rooms too….
- After being in the spirit of Marie Kondo ’Anything that doesn’t make you happy or isn’t absolutely necessary should be touched, thanked and sent on its way’, the bestselling Japanese author says, it really helped with mine & some of my friends fashion clear out. The stall with Heather ‘Love your labels’ at Brocante in Westerham was a great success & along with some local selling on both eBay & Facebook we are nearly sold out! Lots of friends have said it has inspired them to do the same…do it, it’s fun & eBay is so user friendly with your phone!
- Moving to media – there is just too much to see on the screen, such amazing things & so glossy! We are not really binge watchers (well perhaps 3 episodes)…so my top 10 in order:
- The Poliakoff Summer of Rockets – watch out for his love of flaming hair & vases of flowers in every shot!
- Billions – the dialogue & acting are amazing…it’s kept up it’s appeal & is now on its 4th season.
- Montalbano…back for a short season…is bucolic, funny with slow dialogue in an empty Sicily. Usually 1-2 hours…so stay still!
- Big Little Lies, 2nd series is back….wonderful dialogue plus shot along the Pacific coastline in Monterey. Meryl Streep joins the starry cast of women.
- For yet more glamour (there is a theme here)…I love Riviera as we know so many of the locations around Nice, Villefranche, La Turbie & Monaco…& the dresses….the men will like the cars!
- Last Game of Thrones (sorry)…if you are clever you can watch the wonderful Sue Perkins resume & catch up for all the earlier series…
- Cinema – just coming – so not seen as yet remake of Gloria Bell with Julianne Moore, original one this week on TV.
- 9 & 10! It scores 3 points but not seen it yet…as it’s the soundtrack & love story to David & our romance – Claude Lelouch’s 2nd sequel to A Man & A Woman…this is Variety’s review : ‘Something unusual happened at the Cannes premiere of “The Best Years of a Life,” Claude Lelouch’s syrupy second sequel to his trend-setting 1966 global smash “A Man and a Woman.” Not the endless, roaring standing ovation that happened when the lights came up: That’s expected, even required, of the tuxed-up crowd at Grand Théâtre Lumière, for films far better and worse than this light fondant fancy. No, it came just after, as the applause eventually faded out and the vast audience harmonized in collective gibberish sing-song: Chaba-daba-da-daba-daba-da, da-da-da chaba-daba-da… — over and over, until beachside revelers some distance away could probably hear this mass karaoke spin on Francis Lai’s original 1966 love theme drifting on the breeze’. …Can’t Wait!!
- Only other early access is to Rosé …despite the weather, we tried Whispering Angel at the Secret Cellar pop up restaurant event last month but were won over by an amazing pale pink Tuscan Rosé (this time) called Tenuta Montecchiesi Miraly Rose
- Plus I’ve mentioned Martinico, a local fashion fix from Nicolette Dix & they are having a charity fun day for Jigsaw, the local charity which supports children after loss. JULY 28th, 11.00-16.30 Country Fair at Fairlight Farm. Hosted by Country Fair at Fairlight Farm, Holtye Road, East Grinstead (A264) just before Orchard Nursery…narrow lane on right.
…Glam, BOHO or some say Festival all the way for Summer…
Again a Martinico look…but easy to put together: Denim jacket, gypsy style dress (perhaps not so short for me!) mala beads from Martinico & the real thing from www.malaspirit.com . Plus pumps or cowboy boots…there you are…give it a try…but rough up your hair first.
- 1 x 375 g sheet of all butter ready rolled puff pastry or last night I had some shortcrust left over which I pre-baked as a tart @180 fan
- 2 x 15ml tablespoons of apricot conserve.…I use Belle Maman
- 2 x 15ml tablespoons of double cream or crème fraiche
- 2 nectarines cut into ½ moon slices
- 125g blueberries
- 2 teaspoons of demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 220 or 200 fan or gas mark 7
- Lay puff pastry sheet out on a lined baking sheet using the point of a sharp knife, score a frame around the edge about 2 cms from edge
- Mix together cream & conserve in small bowl & paint or spread onto pastry sheet within the frame
- Arrange the fruit on top & sprinkle with demerara sugar
- Bake for 15 mins, cut into slices & serve warm…yum yum